In one of the books I recently read, the author describes all of us as board-carrying fellows (and this description has been stuck in my head since - he is so spot on). He's referring to a carpenter who is carrying a wide wooden board that blocks & limits his vision. I love using images & scenarios to learn & describe topics so I think this is perfect to describe our habitual & dualistic minds. We are all board carrying fellows -- only seeing one side of things & viewing the world in our ordinary & habitual viewpoint. He uses this image of a carpenter to caution us from thinking we see fully & clearly - when we only see partially. With this limited viewpoint, we ultimately make it impossible to gain the insight that allows us to respond to certain situations in a new, and an appropriate way (for ourselves).
So that is why I want to encourage all of you to take a backward step before responding in your old habitual ways. Look, see, explore, and understand. Taking the backward step before making a decision, a certain response, etc., can really help prevent your mind from responding in its usual way. Especially this day in age when everything is instant. Not only is it instant but it's mass publicized -- on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Text Messaging, etc. We are so used to just responding instantly to everything using pre-concieved judgements, thoughts, & beliefs -- because these days we don't need to meet face to face or make a phone call. The way I see it - taking a step back to question your response will help you really digest the power in your words & actions. Do you want to invite negativity? or encourage growth & change within yourself & ultimately others?
I think this is a very insightful method to practice because we can respond in a way that allows us to think before we act. For me -- practicing to take a step back before I respond to anyone from my mom to my husband helps me control my response -- ultimately freeing me from negative feelings that I may have felt from another instant & habitual response. When you change yourself, you ultimately change others because they know not to discuss things that you will no longer entertain or let affect you. You start changing the way you think (slowly changing your brains response) and becoming a more balanced & free board-carrying fellow :] When we love ourselves & our neighbors we start to enjoy a cleared mind & a kinder heart. With a different appropriate (personal) response to certain situations you can change others-by ultimately changing yourself - changing the words & actions one human mind at a time!
So I dare you to take a step back before you respond - you might make the same response or you might decide to change it up - I just hope whatever the response is - it makes you feel happiness & love.
happy sunday lovelies. hope you all are having a great day!
My true religion is kindness - Dalai Lama
Take a step back. Inspire action. Smile.
xo. K







No comments:
Post a Comment